Friday, January 31, 2014

Lucas's Small Victory

     My lil Lucas is definitely opinionated and his own person. He loves going to school. He has so much fun. The one thing Lucas is not always thrilled about is practicing writing his name or the alphabet. If he can't do it perfect the first attempt, he doesn't want to even try after that. Logan was and sometimes still is very much the same way when learning new things.

     Yesterday Lucas came home with letter writing practice for the letters Rr and Dd that is due Tuesday. I knew it was going to be a struggle to get him motivated to even sit down to do it. Much to my surprise, this afternoon when I finally made it home, he asked to do his homework. He got his pencil box and sat down at the table with the Rr letter page. 

     I told him that he should write his name first. I told him to write L. He wrote u on his own. Then I wrote c and he copied it. He wrote a and then copied the s. Today was the first time, he legibly wrote his name all on his own. 

     He has recognized his name written for a long time, but didn't know all the individual letter names. I was so thrilled that he knew the names for not only L (which he's known for a long time), but u, and a as well. Grammie, Logan, and I made a really big deal celebrating his success! He wanted me to put it on Facebook so of course,  I posted it to IG, Twitter, and Facebook. He was so excited when his teacher Miss Cheryl commented "Way to go Lucas!!!" on the photo. I told him now that we all know he can do it, he should be able to write his name on all his papers at school. 

     Here is how he wrote his name on his letter Dd book at school on Thursday. Just an upside down L. 


     This is what he wrote today! 



     Yep! The lil stinker had been holding out on us. Then he practiced writing the letter Rr with a cheerful heart. 


     Tonight I'm thankful for the big "small" victories my boys experience! It's also a good reminder for me that I can do all things (even the things I want to give up after one attempt~like saying no to the cookies we baked as part of Logan's homework) through the power of Christ.

"I can do all things through Him [Christ] who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13 (NASB)



No comments:

Post a Comment