Monday, February 10, 2014

Logan's EGD & pH Study

     By 6:05 this morning, we were headed to the hospital for Logan's procedures. I've never been more nervous in my life, and this is his fourth EGD. After losing the baby, I've been terrified that something would happen to Logan during these procedures. Miss Leah sent Logan a verse yesterday that really helped me as well. It helped us both overcome our fears.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, 
for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9 (NIV) 

     When we got to the hospital, we were immediately checked in and taken back. We started all the paperwork that goes all with procedures, while Logan played on his Kindle and watched cartoons. We also took his airplane blanket and two Transformers with us. 

     They gave him giggle juice. This time he complained it tasted nasty. He just wanted his root-beer mask. Before they took him back, we gave hugs and kisses and quoted Joshua 1:9 one more time. 

     Then Joshua and I went to the consult room to wait for Dr. Osuntokun to come tell us how the procedure went. He came and told us the procedures went well, and Lo was in recovery. It looks like the inflammation in his esophagus is back. He wanted to look at the biopsies and the pH study before recommending any treatment plans. Then we went to the waiting room for the nurse to get us when Logan woke up. 

    He slept longer in recovery because they gave him Benadryl because he had a reaction to his pain meds. He had some welps and red bumps that went away pretty quickly. He ate his rainbow Popsicle and drank his orange Gatorade like a champ. His first words were, "Are we done yet?" And "That took a second." 

     Then we waited to be discharged. We took turns standing by his side. He also played with his root-beer mask. 

     It took so long for the doctor to come by to approve the discharge that Logan had a second Popsicle. When he got down to end, he said, "Hey this is Blue Bell."  Then he told he wished we could live here because of the Popsicles. 

     We made it safely home. Logan has to eat 3 meals. He only has 30 minutes to eat and drink whatever he wants. Then he has to wait 4 hours before he can eat or drink anything again.  We are hoping this study will confirm reflux and help us get some of these other issues under control. Logan says the probe doesn't really hurt, but it does bother him sometimes. That tape is the only thing holding it in. If it falls out, we have to go back and they'll put it in while he's awake. We're going to do our best to keep it in, so we don't have to do that. We can take it out in the morning before Daddy goes to work. Then Joshua has to take it back to the hospital and drop it off. The nurse told us if we don't return the equipment, they'll bill us $10,000. Um, who puts their child through all of this and doesn't return the equipment?!

     Logan says thank you for all the prayers and the tube only bothers him a little bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment