Tuesday, March 12, 2013

As You Go

     Living out your faith can be tricky-especially at home! While I try to do some very deliberate things to model living out my faith for my boys, I have learned that its the things I say and do as I go about life that have most impact on them.


     I think the first time I realized how closely they were watching me live out my faith was in the car. We were driving to church one afternoon. It was very quiet until I heard Logan, who was 4 at the time, pray, "thank You God for beautiful sky today!" He still prays out loud pretty consistently. "Protect mommy and Lucas while I'm at school." "Help the people in the car accident." "Please make Miss Kay not be sick anymore." Now Lucas (my 3 year old) is starting to do it too. All those times I prayed out loud when passing an accident on the highway, or when I got call about someone being sick, or just for Logan right before I drop him off at school, my boys were listening and learning.


     At our church we have the AWANA program on Wednesday nights during the school year. A big part of it is hiding God's Word in your heart. At the beginning of the school year Logan memorized 1 Peter 5:7 "Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you." We started a new school this year and Logan was nervous on the days I wasn't teaching. We said 1 Peter 5:7 over and over practically the whole car ride to school. We have about a 15 minute drive. I would remind Logan you can say this verse in your head if you get nervous at school. When a verse he's memorized is applicable to situation in life, we talk about the verse and how it goes with the situation. Now Logan is beginning to recognize on his own when a verse he's memorized applies to something in his life. The other day he was complaining about picking up. I finally told him that I didn't want to hear anymore of his complaining. A little later on, he came and apologize and told me  that his verse said "Do everything without complaining or arguing." (Philippians 2:14), and he should not have been complaining while picking up the playroom. We talk about God's Word and how it applies to life not just during planned activities like devotions or when completing AWANA lessons, but when it fits into daily life.


      When someone is sick, we make dinner and take to them or write a note (usually on Facebook). We give hugs and encourage those who are struggling. We offer rides to those who need them. We invite people over to share meals with us. Earlier this year, Logan got in the car after school and told me one of his friends was crying in class because they were having a hard time spelling words. The next day I saw the friend's mom, and she told me Logan had given his friend a hug and told him that it's okay, just stretch out the words, and do the best you can. Acts of service and exhorting each other are big ways we live out the fruits of the Spirit in our lives. We also talk about how serving others and encouraging others is worshipping God just like singing praise songs to Him.


     Actions speak louder than words. That is definitely true with my boys and with the world. They "hear" what we do more clearly than what we say.


Listen, Israel: The Lord is our God, the Lord is one! You must love the Lord your God with your whole mind, your whole being, and all your strength. These words I am commanding you today must be kept in mind, and you must teach them to your children and speak of them as you sit in your house, as you walk along the road, as you lie down, and as you get up. (Deuteronomy 6:4-7 NET)

3 comments:

  1. Kaydi, this is such a great post. You are a great, mom and you have a beautiful family! Thanks for linking up and encouraging by sharing your faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell so much about how great of a mother you are. So much of it is showing them our walk and letting them learn from us. As a boy mom, I am so encouraged! Thank you for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so great! thank you so much for sharing. great photos.

    ReplyDelete