Sunday, August 5, 2012

Update on Logan's Tummy Troubles

     " The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, 
my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
Psalm 18:2

      As most of you know, Logan had an EGD and colonoscopy on July 16th. Logan was so excited because our friends the Jefferies made him a little goody bag that included markers, a journal, and fruit ninja game cards along with a sweet card and a few other things for him to do while he waited for his procedure at the surgery center. 
     The doctor found an inflamed spot on his esophagus and on his rectum. To treat the spot on his esophagus, they put Logan on a steroid that he takes orally mixed with 5 packets of Splenda and enough water to make it 10ml. He takes it twice a day, and it hypes him and is starting to make his more easily agitated and upset. He has to take it for the next two months. 

     His doctor also referred us to an allergist because the spot on his esophagus is a condition that they call EE (for short)  which is caused by a food or environmental allergen. Logan goes for allergy testing on August 22nd. He will be back in school, but we were able to get an 8am appointment and since he doesn't go to school until 10:30 he'll only be a few minutes late if he's late at all.


      EE is a fairly recent condition (has only been being treated in the last 10-15 years). Because of it's newness, they have not narrowed down a specific sets of allergy tests to give so they will start with major common food allergies and depending on the results, they will decided if Logan needs further testing.

     The inflammation on his rectum is caused by his body not having enough of the enzyme that helps him process starches. Because of this Logan is on a low starch diet-he's only allowed 1-3 servings of starches a day. He will be on this diet for the next 4-6 weeks. Once the symptoms disappear, we can slowly add starches back in his diet to see where his limit is. This diet has been so hard for him because almost everything he loves to eat is a starch! He's been a real trooper and I"m so proud of him. He hasn't really complained about the diet or taking the steroid twice a day.

   
     The day after his procedure Miss Leslie one of the teenagers from our church came to visit Logan and check on him. Leslie brought him a card and a monkey. He loves her so much and felt so special because she came to visit him!
     Logan will have to have another colonoscopy and EGD on September 17th for them to go back and make sure their diagnoses is correct and Logan is getting better. We ask that you continue to pray for Logan and for our family as we continue to seek answers to help Logan's tummy troubles. We thank you so much for all the prayers, encouragement, and support you have given Logan and our family on this journey.

     We know God has a purpose and a plan for this and our desire is for HIM to be glorified through this journey and that we would all be more like HIM on the other side.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, 
plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.
You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment