Monday, April 22, 2013

The Power of Words

    We tend to underestimate the power of words in our culture. We flippantly say things, and then justify it by saying we didn't really mean it. Or it wasn't meant the way it was heard. Or the other person shouldn't have _________ and then I wouldn't have responded like that.

     Our words have the power to crush. I've watched people (children and adults) alike shrivel under the weight of another's harsh words. Sometimes we do not realize the long lasting affect of our words spoken out of anger or frustration have. I know I have said things plenty of times out of anger or frustration that I wished I could take back. The problem is you can never "unspeak" what you've spoken.

     The opposite is also true. Words can bring comfort, healing, and encouragement. I've seen people with low self-esteem blossom when they are continually encouraged and supported. We don't realize what the smallest word of encouragement means to someone else. Something we view as being small or insignificant can mean the WORLD to someone else.

     Here's a few verses I have come across in the last couple of weeks.

"Speaking recklessly is like the thrusts of a sword, but the words of the wise bring healing." 
Proverbs 12:18 NET

"Speech that heals is like a life-giving tree, but a perverse tongue breaks the spirit."
Proverbs 15:4 NET

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love its use will eat its fruit."
Proverbs 18:21 NET

"The north wind brings forth rain, and a gossiping tongue brings forth an angry look."
Proverbs 25:23 NET

     My prayer is that my words are pleasing to God and bring comfort, encouragement, and healing to those who hear them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment