Friday, April 12, 2013

Be Influenced, Part 1

     Tonight was Session 1 of our Ladies' Retreat. Our theme this year is Be Influenced and is on mentoring or discipleship. We have the sweetest group of ladies from Arkansas leading worship for us this weekend. The music has been amazing. They have shared from their hearts and that is reflected in their worship!

     Our speaker for the retreat is Shirley Moses. She is an awesome and transparent speaker. It was very evident to me that she had spent a great deal of time in prayer and preparation for tonight's session.

     Tonight, Shirley taught on who is a mentor/discipler, motivation for discipling, and character. Some things I took away from Shirley's teaching tonight are: 1) any believer is approved by Christ to mentor/disciple, 2) we are called to walk along side each other, and 3) our goal should not be for them to meet our expectations but to help them grow in the Word and live it out. While love and acceptance (as modeled by Jesus) is key, it does not mean we overlook sin but pray for them and be there for them until God moves in their life. While she was talking about that last point I thought of several people who loved me, prayed for me, and walked through difficult times with me as I faced the consequences of my sin. I'm eagerly anticipating God speaking through Shirley tomorrow morning!

Be imitators of me, brothers and sisters, and 
watch carefully those who are living this way, just as you have us as an example. 
(Philippians 3:17 NET)

No comments:

Post a Comment