Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Faithfulness

    I'm currently working through Beth Moore's Breaking Free Bible study. This is the third time I'm doing this study; I'm only beginning week 2 of 10 and I am already amazed at what fresh things about captivity and freedom God is showing me in His word.

    Week 2 is all about the benefits God has extended to His children. Beth discusses how if you're missing one of these benefits in your life then it may be a helpful indicator you're in captivity or on the road to being held captive. Isaiah 43:10 says "You are my witnesses", declares the Lord, "and My servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe Me and understand that I am He. Before Me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after Me."

    One of the exercises she had us do what to think about situations that positively and negatively affected our faith. As I was thinking about these experiences and writing them, I realized how I needed to start deliberately recording God's faithfulness in mine and my family's lives. No matter how many or few years you have walked with the Lord, there are times when unbelief or doubt creeps in. The last half of 2011 was extremely hard for me. Looking back I can see how instead of trusting God, I was questioning why. I think it would have been easier for me to let go of my struggles if I would have been consistently searching His Word for examples of His faithfulness and reflecting on His faithfulness in my own life-not only in the "big" things, but in the "small" things as well.

    I feel like God is calling me to start a faithfulness journal to record answers to prayers and even encouraging things He leads other people to do for our family. His faithfulness was shown to me just as much as when LeighAnn wrote me a card and brought me a piece of chocolate cake as much as when He answered our prayers for healing at Logan and Lucas' birth as much as the Word of hope He spoke to us through Joel's sermon the Sunday morning before Logan's traumatic birth as much as Miss Mikki writing on Facebook to check on her boys.  A big part of growing our belief and trust in Him is knowing Him and remembering His faithfulness in the past. Maybe one day this faithfulness journal will become a family heirloom passed down as a testimony to future generations.



No comments:

Post a Comment